Bournemouth University is conscious of its impact on the environment and constantly working towards achieving its sustainability vision.
We've introduced a number of initiatives over the years to help make BU as environmentally friendly as possible – and we have won a number of awards as a result. Take a look at our sustainability timeline to see our progress.
What we've achieved so far in 2021
What we've achieved in the past
- Achieved BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating for Poole Gateway Building
- Ranked in top 15% of universities across the world in the THE University Impact Rankings for the second time. Ranked fourth place in the UK for our positive action towards Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 13: Climate Action and tenth globally for SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- Became one of only a handful of universities to achieve a double certification for its environmental and energy management system after receiving ISO50001 certification
- Achieved 'Gold' rating in the Sustainability Leadership Scorecard
- Replaced lighting through Chapel Gate site with LEDs.
- Installed our largest solar PV panel system to date on Poole House
- Ranked in top 15% of universities across the world in the first Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings. Ranked seventh place globally for our positive actionstowards SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production.
- Shortlisted as a finalist in the edie Sustainability Leaders Awards in the ‘Employee Engagement & Behaviour Change’ category.
- Received First Class award in People & Planet's University League.
- Achieved BREEAM ‘Very Good’ rating for Studland House Phase 1 refurbishments, which included an upgraded and larger solar PV panel system on the roof.
- Awarded the Earth Charter award winner for Engagement in Sustainability
- Achieved BREEAM ‘Very Good’ rating for Weymouth House Phase 1 refurbishments
- Achieved transition to ISO14001:15/ EcoCampus Platinum
- Team Finance and Performance won Green Rewards programme at BU, donating £100 to the Bournemouth Foodbank
- 11 Staff teams completed the NUS Green Impact achieving 4 Gold, 1 Silver, and 8 Bronze awards between them.
- Replaced lighting across Sir Michael Cobham Library and Studland House with LEDs.
- Renewal of Fairtrade Certification (12 years)
- Two Green Gowns Finalists in Community category and Learning & Skills category
- SUBU awarded us the Most Sustainable Event of the Year for annual Waste Audit
- Sustainability Manager Dr Neil Smith became a fellow of the EAUC, acknowledging and rewarding his exceptional contribution to the EAUC community.
- Ranked 11th place in the People and Planet University League (1st Class Degree)
- Awarded Best Overall Team prize in the Bournemouth Commuter Challenge.
- Replaced lighting in Executive Business Centre and external lighting across Talbot Campus with LEDs.
- Achieved BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating for Fusion Building
- Earth Charter award winner for waste management Momentum Cycle Challenge - winner in the 500+ employee size category
- Retention of EcoCampus Platinum/ISO14001 certification
- Awarded first class degree in the University League
- Food for Life Silver Award
- South West Fairtrade Gold Business Awards 2016
- Travel and Transport Manager Richard Wintrip won the Vice Chancellors Individual Achievement for his work in influencing staff and students to travel more sustainably.
- Achieved BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating for Student Centre
- 7th in the People & Planet University League
- Food for Life Bronze Award (Chartwells)
- Winner of Dorset Travel Network Gold Standard for travel planning and Business Travel Network Large Employer of the Year Award
- Momentum Cycle Challenge - winner in the 500+ employee size category
- Renewal of Fairtrade Certification (10 years)
- Certification to EcoCampus Platinum and ISO14001.
- Sustainable Fish City Pledge
- Re-certification to EcoCampus Gold Award
- Carbon Management Plan Highly Commended in the Green Gown Sustainable Procurement category as a member of the South Coast Affinity Group.
- Aibeat Earth Charter Awards - Award for engagement in sustainability
- Momentum cycle challenge - winner in the 500+ employee size category.
- Achievement of EcoCampus Gold Award
- Shortlisted for the Times Higher Education Outstanding Contribution to Sustainable Development Award
- Finalist in the Green Gown Positive Behaviour category
- Finalist in the Green Gown Sustainable Procurement category as a member of the South Coast Affinity Group.
- Achievement of EcoCampus Bronze and Silver Awards.
- Finalist in the Dorset Business Environmental Excellence Award.
- Achieved Fairtrade status.
- Winner of the Green Gown Transport category.
- Highly Commended in the Green Gown Energy Efficiency category.