We're still here for you over the summer break, which runs from 24 June - 17 September 2023*. Most of our core BU teams are available by phone and email, please see below for contact details and opening hours.
*Please note that all services will be closed for the August bank holiday on Monday 28 August, unless stated.
Opening hours for core BU services are below:
Achieve @ BU Team
Additional Learning Services (ALS) team will be available throughout the summer from Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm. You can contact them via email [email protected] or call on 01202 965663 (Talbot) and 01202 961581 (Lansdowne).
The AskBU team will be available throughout the summer from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm (4.30pm Fridays) - except for Tuesday 25 July when AskBU will be closed due to staff training. You can contact us via email [email protected] or call 01202 969696.
The Unibus service will be running on the reduced summer vacation timetable over the break. Check out the new Unibus app, which has replaced clickit2ride, for live timetable information as well as quick and easy payment and ticketing options.
From 26 June, The CareersBU team will be moving into The Sir Michael Cobham Library for the summer break. Opening hours will be from Tuesday to Thursday, between 10am - 12pm and 1pm - 3pm. You can also book a 30 minute appointment to speak with a careers adviser, either in-person or virtually, from Monday to Friday.
Faith & Reflection
The weekly Global Café for international students will continue to run until the end of July, each Wednesday, 5pm - 6.30pm, in the Faith & Reflection Centre.
The computers in The Sir Michael Cobham Library and Weston Library remain open to students 24 hours a day, every day.
IT support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in various forms throughout the summer:
- 8am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, full service support from the BU IT Services team
- 5pm - 8am, Monday to Friday, and all day on weekends, basic first line support over the phone is available through our Out of Hours team.
Here’s how to get in touch:
- Visit the Self-service portal (watch the self-help video for user information) - here you can raise a job or request
- Give us a call any time, any day on (01202 9)65515 or freephone 0808 196 2332. Between 5pm and 8pm and during the weekend our Out of Hours Team will assist with basic first line support over the phone.
- Talk to us using the Online chat service, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.45 pm
- Face-to-Face - visit the IT Counter in WG10 (Weymouth House at Talbot Campus), Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm (closed 1pm-2pm).
Both libraries will remain open over the summer break, with library staff available for help and advice from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm. Please check our website for full details of the library opening times and how to contact the library team over the holidays.
All lending copies of books and DVDs are automatically renewed every 7 days, unless an item has been reserved by someone else.
If you plan to study at home over the break the e-journals and e-books that BU subscribes to are all available off campus. Detailed help in finding and accessing e-resources off campus is available online in our library guide.
Our on campus Student Medical Centre will be closed for the summer break from 16 June. If you need to contact a doctor you can call Talbot Medical Centre in Wallisdown, at 63 Kinson Road BH10 4BX on 01202 636400, or call NHS 111. If it is an emergency please call 999. To register online visit the Talbot Medical Centre website.
The Residential Services and LettingsBU teams will be available from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm (4.30pm on Fridays), via email or by phone. They will be unavailable on 17 and 18 August to deal with the main A-level results and Clearing period.
The LettingsBU team will be available from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm (4.30pm on Fridays), via email or by phone.
- All halls of residence will have a member of staff available 24/7 over the entire summer period and/or an emergency telephone number for you to contact and speak with a member of staff. If you are unsure what this is please speak with your local accommodation team.
- If you're living in a Unilet or LettingsBU managed shared student house, you should continue to use your usual out of hours support and call the main Poole House reception number (01202 524111) for emergencies.
- If you’re living in private accommodation, you should have been provided with an out of hours numbers to call, so contact your provider, landlord or agent direct if you haven’t or are unsure.
SportBU will remain open throughout the break and will be running the summer fitness timetable, please visit the website for booking and contact details. From 5pm on Thursday 6 July to 7.15am on Tuesday 25 July, the main gym within SportBU will be closed for critical works, selected gym equipment will be available to use during this time.
Student Wellbeing will offer a reduced appointment-based service over the summer, this will mostly be remote appointments but a limited number of face-to-face appointments are available. You can contact the team via email [email protected], or via phone on 01202 965020. We may take longer than usual to respond to queries. Please also note there will be no drop-in available over the summer. Please see the website for how to refer and for more information about our support services.
If you are in need of additional wellbeing support, you can check which services are available on the urgent wellbeing support page or the external wellbeing resources below.
The SUBU Advice team will be available over the summer, Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm. Please email [email protected] to request a call back or to book an appointment in person. Visit the website for more details.
The University Retreat on Talbot Campus will close from 23 July until 3 September - during this time students can access The Retreat in Hahnemann House in Bournemouth town centre.
If you are in crisis you can also call Connection on 0800 652 0190 - the 24/7 mental health helpline, virtual support is available at Community Front Rooms, or you can contact the additional external wellbeing resources below.
External wellbeing resources
While the university services are closed over the spring break, you may find the following external services helpful if you need immediate support:
- NHS 111 (the non-emergency number to contact the NHS)
- Police 101 (the non-emergency number to contact the police if it is less urgent than a 999 call)
- Connection (24/7 mental health helpline)
- The Retreat (mental health support from 4.30pm-midnight every day)
- Student Assistance Programme (free 24/7 confidential helpline and online resources)
- Student Space (for wellbeing resources and advice from Student Mind)
- Dorset Mind
- Samaritans or Samaritans Bournemouth & District (for urgent emotional support)
- The Shores (if you have experienced sexual abuse)
- Steps 2 Wellbeing (for anxiety, depression, stress, mental health and wellbeing)
- UKCISA (for concise and student friendly guidance on all aspects of international student support including immigration)
- GOV.UK - Find an immigration adviser (if you need urgent immigration representation).