Hate crimes are those which are targeted at people because of hostility or prejudice towards their disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Such offences can include verbal abuse, physical assault, domestic abuse, harassment and damage to property.
We do not tolerate any form of hate crime at BU – please read our Hate Crime Policy and take a look at our Hate Crime Reporting Flow Chart for more information. The university takes a zero-tolerance approach to any form of abuse and will take action against any student or staff member who is deemed to have breached the Student Disciplinary Procedures or Staff Dignity & Respect (Harassment) Policy and Procedure.
How to report an incident
All students, staff and visitors to our campus can report an incident in any of the following ways:
- Use our online form to report an incident, you can choose to do this anonymously. Your report will be sent confidentially to dedicated staff within BU
- If there is an emergency on campus call 01202 962222. For off campus emergencies call 999
- If you're deaf/hard of hearing or speech impaired you can use the emergency SMS/Text: 80999 or non-emergency SMS/Text: 67101 for off campus incidents, Please note: you'll need to register your mobile phone first to use this service.
- Via our Bournemouth Campus Police
- Report to Dorset Police via the Dorset Police online reporting form or by calling 101 from any phone, including a mobile.
Find more information about Equality and Diversity at BU.
Support on campus
You can contact any of our teams below for further support:
- [email protected] team
- BU's Neighbourhood Policing Team
- Student Wellbeing
- Jacquie O’Brien, Achieve Officer: email [email protected] or call 01202 969696
- You can also speak to an AskBU Adviser in confidence
- Student policies and procedures - Conduct and Welfare
- Staff Dignity & Respect (Harassment) Policy and Procedure
If you want to go elsewhere for support you can always contact the below organisations: