At BU we take your safety and personal security very seriously and we are committed to providing a safe and secure environment in which you can live and study.
There’s a range of security policies and procedures in place to ensure your safety including:
- 24 hours a day, 365 days a year security team
- CCTV and other appropriate security systems
- A dedicated police officer working in liaison with BU security personnel with the emphasis being on crime prevention and advice
- BU has achieved the nationally recognised accreditation ‘Secured Environments’ in recognition of its commitment to staff and student safety.
Advice from Dorset Police
Bournemouth town centre has a vibrant and lively night-time economy, but please take simple steps to make sure you stay safe:
- Stay with your friends on a night out – never walk home alone
- Remember – the more alcohol you drink, the more vulnerable you become.
For more safety advice and tips please visit the Dorset Police website.
Stay safe on campus
Looking after your bike
Keeping your bank account safe
If you think that your bank account may have been misused you should report this to your bank or to the police. You can also let us know as we can provide support and advice.
There are organised crime groups who may try to use frauds and scams to target international or UK students' bank accounts. The best way to keep your bank account safe is to remain vigilant and question anything that seems unusual.
Please ensure that you:
- Do not engage with suspicious activities
- Are being cautious
- Talk to your bank if you are concerned about activity linked to your bank account(s)
- Are aware of the serious consequences of involvement in criminal activity.