Skip to main content

The following resources will tell you all you need to know about studying through one of our partner colleges, and what support you can expect from BU during your studies.

If you are a student studying on a franchised or validated course at one of our partner colleges your course will be delivered by staff at your college. However, BU is the awarding institution and is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the learning opportunities offered to you are adequate to enable you to achieve the academic standard required to successfully complete the course. If you do complete your course successfully, you will receive a BU certificate at the end of your studies.

The main difference between studying on franchised and validated courses is that:

  • As a student on a BU franchised course you will be enrolled as a BU student and can therefore access a whole range of resources and facilities.
  • As a student on a BU validated course you will be enrolled as a college student and the college are responsible for all the resources and facilities you will need to access. 

If you are unsure which information best suits you, please use the franchised and validated programme list to find out more information about your course. If you aren't studying on any of these programmes please read students from other partners.

Students starting in September 2020

The franchised partner student summary and validated partner student summary are helpful summaries of the information you need to start your journey on a BU at one of our partner colleges. Read below for more information about the support available from BU.

If you’re currently studying at one of BU’s partner institutions and you’d like to apply for direct entry to Year 2 or 3 of an undergraduate course at BU, please use this application form.

Services for all partner students

SUBU Advice promo

SUBU Advice

Free independent and confidential advice on housing, money, personal matters offered by BU Students' Union.
Image of people playing basket ball


Providing positive experiences through sport recreation and physical activity.


Go to AskBU for advice about facilities at the university and information on appeals.

Information for students on franchised courses

If you're studying on a franchised course, you can access a number of our services and facilities, from joining SUBU societies to getting advice from our Careers & Employability service. You'll also have full access to our libraries and their extensive resources. 

Becoming a member of SUBU and joining a club or society is a brilliant way to meet other students away from your course and to really get involved in university life. 

Although your college will provide you with careers and placements advice, you are also welcome to contact the Careers & Employability team at BU and access their varied online resources through MyCareerHub. However, you will not be eligible to apply for any of BU's study or work abroad schemes.

Get involved

SUBU logo

SUBU societies

As a student at one of our franchised partner colleges, you can become a member of the Students' Union at BU and join its various societies, giving you a chance to meet new people and try new things.
Girl in library

Using our library

As a student at one of our franchised partner colleges, you can access our library and all of its resources. Find out more here.
Varsity sports partner students promo

Varsity sports

You can join any of the individual or team varsity competitions that BU enters, as well as get involved with intramural leagues and apply for EXCEL performance scholarships.

Information for students on validated courses

If you're studying on a validated course, you will still be able to access some of our facilities and services, as well as getting involved with other aspects of university life. You can apply for associate membership with BU's Students' Union (SUBU), which will still allow you to join all of the clubs and societies. The only difference to full membership is that you won't be allowed to vote in SUBU elections.

You can also apply for external membership to our libraries, which will allow you to access the resources on both campuses. However, you won't be able to access the BU Careers & Employability Service. Your College will provide you with advice and guidance on careers and placements. Unfortunately you won't be eligible to apply for any of BU's study or work abroad schemes.

Get involved

SUBU logo


As a student on a validated course, you can become an associate member of SUBU, giving you access to all the clubs and societies, as well as other services offered by the Students' Union.

Find out more

Partner colleges

We work with a number of Partner Colleges in Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset to deliver a range of courses.


Discover more about the institutions we partner with around the UK and the world and how these relationships enhance the student and staff experience, as well as providing valuable opportunities for research and education.

Contact us

Chat to us about your application, life at BU or higher education in general – we're here to offer advice and support...