Accommodation options available for second, third and fourth year students include privately rented flats and houses as well as halls of residence.
Private lettings and the LettingsBU service
BU has its own student lettings service, LettingsBU, who advertise a variety of student houses and flats across the popular areas of Winton, Boscombe, Charminster and Wallisdown, as well as options in the large private halls of residences located in the Lansdowne area of Bournemouth.
Please contact LettingsBU to start your property search.
When and how to rent
There are some great resources out there to support and guide you through the process of renting your student property:
- Check out our Home-Finders checklist (pdf 158kb) for useful advice on what to consider and look for during your search.
- The local Council have a Student Guide to Renting (pdf 3.74 MB) that is another useful guide to renting your student home
- SUBU advice have some student-centred guidance on their Housing Advice webpage that should also help.
Finally, to ensure you're in the know, read the anti-scam guidance on SUBU's finding your house page; which includes how to protect yourself against accommodation fraud, tips on how to avoid student rental scams and the five types of fraud that students are particularly vulnerable to.
Looking for other BU students to share a house with?
We have set up a home-finders Facebook page to help students find housemates. You can go here and advertise what you are looking for. It's a great way to speed up your search and exchange information with other students who are also looking.
Looking for or advertising spare rooms?
You can also use the home-finders Facebook page to look for other students who are advertising spare rooms in their current student houses.
LettingsBU and SUBU have also put together some advice videos to help once you've secured your accommodation:
- What you need to do before moving into your new home; from knowing your contractual responsibilities to planning your arrival and the importance of an inventory.
- How to set up your new home; from setting up your utility supply and billing arrangements to knowing where to find your gas, water and electric meter.
- Along with some tips about living in the community; from the impact of noise, getting to know your neighbours to where and when to put your bins.
- You can also learn more about safety and security; in your student home, from personal safety to keeping your property secure.