Your step-by-step guide:
If you are an international student or a nursing and midwifery student studying at Portsmouth or Yeovil you will also find some additional useful information on these pages:
Step1 – Complete your online registration as soon as possible
From Tuesday 17 August, if you hold an Unconditional Firm (U/F) offer, a registration invitation will be sent to the email address you used throughout your application process.
Why is online registration so important?
You will be given:
- Access to your BU student email address.
- Access to Brightspace. BU’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which will be essential to you throughout your time as a BU student (see Step 2).
Registration only takes 20-30 minutes to complete and involves:
- Checking that your contact and course information is correct
- Telling us how you intend to pay for your tuition fees (make sure you have all your documents regarding any funding support before you start).
- Answering a few questions about when you plan to arrive in Bournemouth. This information will be used to support your arrival.
- Reading and signing up to our 2021/22 version of the BU Student Agreement, you can read more about this below.
You don’t need to complete this process in one go, you can save and return as and when you need to.
Student Agreement, BU regulations and policies
When you register online, you will be asked to read, and sign up to, the 2021/22 version of the BU Student Agreement. A copy of the BU Student Agreement 2020/21 was provided in your offer letter but there may have been updates since then. Please take the time to read the new version - a summary of any changes will also be available for you.
You can access and download both the current and archived versions of the Student Agreement, alongside all our policies and procedures, on our important information webpages.
Step 2 – Log in to Brightspace
Once you’ve completed your online registration, you will be able to access Brightspace. Please log in as soon as possible.
Why is this step so important?
This is BU’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). It will be essential to you throughout your time as a student at BU.
On Brightspace you will find:
- A welcome and introduction to your faculty
- General course information (including a basic course reading list)
- Pre-arrival activities that you need to complete before your induction week begins
- Information about your induction week and how to join online lectures and seminars
- ME@BU – information about our support services and tips for online learning
- Access to your BU email account. Please ensure you check this regularly from now on. Your BU email will be one of the main ways that staff will communicate with you throughout your studies.
(See Step 4 for information regarding access to more detailed information about your course)
Step 3 – Complete your online enrolment
After completing your online registration, you will be receive an email invitation to enrol onto your course. This is the final stage in your enrolment when you will officially become a BU student.
Why is enrolment so important?
Enrolling on your course will give you access to:
- The process to kick start your student loan to help ensure it is ready for the start of term (UK only)
- A student status letter to help you open a UK bank account (international only)
- Information on where to collect your student ID card. This will enable you to:
- Access certain buildings on campus
- Borrow library books
- Get discounts in shops and on buses etc.
- Obtain council tax exemption, student status/’permission to work’ letter
To complete your enrolment, you will need the following documents:
- Proof of your identity
Photo ID such as a passport or driving licence
- Educational qualifications
Original certificates for the qualifications required for your course (e.g. BTEC, A-level, degree, English language qualification) and official translations if not originally in English
- NHS or HPC professional course certificates
Original Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) certificate
Additional requirements for international students:
- Your passport, Student visa, any previous visas for the UK and all other relevant immigration documents.
Please also check your registration email which will include any additional requirements linked to your offer.
Step 4 – Log in to Brightspace to check detailed course information
Approximately one week before your teaching begins your unit information will become available on Brightspace.
Why is this step so important?
This is how you’ll find out about any online lectures during induction week and how to log in to them, as well as lots of other important information about your course.
- Unit handbooks
- Assessments details
- Detailed reading lists for each unit
- An introduction to your teaching team
- Access to a schedule of events and activities taking place during your induction week.
Throughout your time at BU you should consider Brightspace and your BU student email address as THE place to go for all your important information from the university.
Got a question or query?
If you have any concerns or have difficulty completing any of these steps, please get in contact with AskBU who will be able to support you.
Our IT information pages should give you all the information you need to get started, but if you require assistance please contact our IT Service Desk. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on freephone: 0808 196 2332 or +44 (0)1202 965515 (from outside the university) or you can raise a job request and chat to our team online.