To borrow books or DVDs from the Library during the first semester which begins in September 2020, you will need to request them in advance using our Reserve and Collect Service. You will not be able to browse at the bookshelves.
This page gives details on how to reserve any items you want to borrow, and also how to return them.
How to use Reserve and Collect
- Find the item on the Library Catalogue
- Click the Reserve button next to your selected title
- When prompted, log in to your Library Account with your Library Borrower Number (see barcode on your Student or Staff ID Card)
- Check which campus you will need to collect the item from, as this cannot be altered later
- Check the screen to confirm the item has successfully been reserved for you
- There is no upper limit to the number of items you can reserve, but please check Loan Allowances for details of how many books and DVDs you can have on loan at any one time.
What happens next?
- If a copy is available on the library shelves, we find and collect the item for you. We will do this as quickly as possible, but please allow 3 working days for your reservation to be processed
- We send an email to your BU student account to inform you about collection
- Please check which library you need to collect it from as we are unable to transfer your reserved item from one library to the other
- Come to the library with your Student ID card - having checked our staffed opening times first (i.e. Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm).
- You will need to wear a face covering in the library. Screens and physical distancing signs have been installed for your protection and that of library staff
- Please collect your item within 7 days of the email notification; after that time the reservation will be cancelled and the book returned to the shelves
- If all copies of the item you want are already on loan, there may be a delay in getting hold of a copy for you. In this case we will contact you by email and may suggest an equivalent e-book, if available.
How to return your books
- Please use either one of our secure library returns boxes. These are in the courtyard outside The Sir Michael Cobham Library and on the ground floor of Bournemouth House
- You may return your books (or DVDs) at either campus, regardless of which library you borrowed them from
- Your ID card is not needed for returns
- If you choose to post your items back to us, they remain your responsibility until we receive them and remove them from your record. Ask at the Post Office for proof of posting
- All returned items will be quarantined for 72 hours, before being discharged from your record and returned to the bookshelves.
Your ID Card
- During your enrolment you will receive an ID card, which also acts as your Library card
- Carry it with you at all times when you're on campus. You will not be able to borrow books without it
- If you lose your card, report it at the Library Help Zone or to askBU immediately, so that we can take steps to prevent its misuse
- If you are a staff member, please bring your staff ID card with you if you wish to borrow from the Library.