The Library will not charge fines for the late return of books and DVDs during this academic year, 2020/21.
Our previous fines policy, as detailed below, will be reviewed ahead of the September 2021 to July 2022 academic year.
You will be charged fines for all items returned or renewed after the due date.
To avoid fines you can:
- Check your library account regularly (via the Library area on Brightspace or from the My Account option on the Library Catalogue)
- Look out for library emails sent to your university email address
- Renew your books online or in the library, on or before the due date. See Renewing borrowed items for more details, including the conditions which will prevent renewals.
Fines start building up daily when your item is one day overdue and will accrue for each weekday when the University is open. Please contact us as soon as possible or renew the item if you find you cannot return it on time.
Fines are not charged for Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Unpaid fines totalling more than £20, or total fines of any amount (30p upwards) which have been outstanding for more than 2 weeks will prevent you from borrowing further items or renewing existing loans.
The following fines rates apply to all borrowers
|Type of loan||Daily fines rate|
|One week loans & multimedia loans||60p|
How to pay a fine
If you have received a library fine you can pay it in one of the following ways:
- Pay in cash at one of the self-service units in The Sir Michael Cobham Library or Weston Library. The units take coins, £10 notes and £5 notes (£20 and £50 notes not accepted). When you pay your fine, your borrower record gets updated immediately so that you will be able to borrow books again. Please retain your receipt.
- Pay by credit/debit card or cheque at the Help Zone in The Sir Michael Cobham Library or Weston Library.
- Pay over the phone - call Library Enquiries on 01202 965959
- Post a cheque made payable to Bournemouth University and include your name and borrower number on the back. Send it to Reader Services, The Sir Michael Cobham Library, Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Poole, Dorset BH12 5BB.
If you are finding it difficult to settle a very large fine, we may be able to offer you a payment plan which would allow you to pay in regular instalments over a limited period of time (e.g. over 1 semester). Please ask at the Help Zone or contact us by phone or email.
How can you appeal?
If you think you may have exceptional circumstances, such as illness or emergency, please contact us as soon as possible - by phone, email or at the Help Zone.
If your query cannot be resolved immediately, Library staff will take the details on a fines appeal form. You will be allowed to continue to borrow while we look into the matter (for up to a week). During this time you will need to have your items issued to you by library staff at the Help Zone, as you will be automatically blocked on the self-service units.
We will contact you by email (usually within a week) to inform you of our decision or to ask you for further details to help resolve the query. If supporting evidence can be provided (e.g. by your Faculty or medical practice), we will consider waiving the fines.