To ensure that you can work safely in the library and use the computers, laptop loans and printers, we have introduced Covid-secure measures including physical distancing and extra cleaning.
We have a booking system for library study spaces. The number of desks in both libraries is significantly reduced due to physical distancing measures, so please do not just turn up without having booked first.
Most of our study spaces are for individual quiet study. Please do not alter the position of the furniture or move chairs around to sit together.
A small number of group study spaces have also been made available at each Library. These take from 2 to 5 people, depending on the size of the table and proximity of other adjacent desks.
Bookings can be made up to 1 week in advance.
At The Sir Michael Cobham Library you can book between the hours of 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and from 9am - 5pm on Saturday and Sunday, for a maximum of 6 hours per day.
At Weston Library, which is at Lansdowne Campus, you can book between the hours of 8am - 8pm, Monday to Sunday, for a maximum of 4 hours per day.
You can book a desk only, a desk with a PC, or a height-adjustable accessible desk. At The Sir Michael Cobham Library on Talbot Campus we also have some iMac computers.
You will receive an email notification to confirm your booking, with a link to cancel the booking later, if you no longer need it.
Please wear a face covering all the time you are in the Library, unless you are medically exempt.
When you arrive, please go to the Library Help Zone so that we can confirm your booking.
If you do not require a study desk or computer but just want to quickly drop in to use a printer, borrow a laptop to take elsewhere on campus or collect a book that you have reserved, there is no need to book a space - but you may need to queue at the Help Zone at peak times.
Our library janitor cleans key touchpoints regularly throughout the day, including door handles, stair rails, toilets etc.
As a library user you are asked and expected to wipe down your desk, university laptop or computer (including mouse and keyboard) and any printer you use - both before and after use. Cleaning materials are provided at sanitising stations in the library.
The Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus:
179 study spaces for quiet individual study are available. 33 on the ground floor, 79 on the 1st floor, 16 on the 2nd floor and 51 on the 4th floor. (3rd floor is closed for the time being.)
- 90 desks with PCs
- 5 desks with desktop iMacs
- 43 desks with no computer - with space and power supply for laptop use
- 36 Macbook Airs available for loan via the laptop lockers.
Weston Library, Bournemouth Gateway Building, Lansdowne Campus:
38 study spaces for quiet individual study are available in the new library on the ground floor of Bournemouth Gateway Building.
- 12 desks with PCs
- 26 desks with no computer - with space and power supply for laptop use
- 12 Macbook Airs available for loan via the laptop lockers.
Booking a computer or study space elsewhere on campus:
- Find out how to book a computer in the Open Access Centres using MyPC.
- Or enquire about booking a group study room on either campus.
- Extensive wireless coverage provides secure access to electronic resources for students and staff using personal laptops. More information on the wireless network
- Wireless printing to university networked printers can be set up on laptops running Windows or Mac operating systems. A help sheet is available at the Library Help Zone or online via the IT Knowledge Base.