To study in the Library during the first semester, you will need to book in advance.
All study spaces are for individual quiet study. Group study spaces are not available at this time and we request that you do not move chairs to sit together, even in small groups.
You can book a desk only, or a desk with a PC or Mac.
You can book for up to 4 hours per day, up to 30 days in advance, Monday - Friday, 9am – 8pm at either of our library sites. The number of desks in both libraries is significantly reduced due to Covid-19 measures, so please do not just turn up to study without booking first.
Please wear a face covering in the Library (unless you are exempt).
Covid-secure measures that we have put in place include physical distancing, one-way signage and extra cleaning, so that you can work safely in the library and use the computers, laptop loans and printers.
When you arrive, please go to the Library Help Zone so that we can triage your enquiry.
If you do not require a study desk or computer but just want to quickly drop in to use a printer, borrow a laptop to take elsewhere on campus (laptop loans available from 5 October 2020) or collect a book that you have reserved, there is no need to book a space - but you may need to queue at peak times.
Key touchpoints will be cleaned regularly throughout the day, to include door handles, stair rails, toilets etc..
As a library user you will be expected to wipe down your desk, university laptop or computer (including mouse and keyboard) and any printer you use - both before and after use. Cleaning materials are provided at sanitising stations in the library.
The Sir Michael Cobham Library, Talbot Campus:
89 study spaces for quiet individual study are available on the ground floor and first floor. Floors 2- 4 are closed at this time.
- 43 desks with PCs
- 3 desks with desktop iMacs
- 43 desks with no computer - with space and power supply for laptop use
- 36 Macbook Airs available for loan via the laptop lockers
Bournemouth House Library, Lansdowne Campus:
51 study spaces for quiet individual study are available in the library, which is on the 1st floor of Bournemouth House.
- 22 desks with PCs
- 29 desks with no computer - with space and power supply for laptop use
- 12 Macbook Airs available for loan via the laptop lockers
- Extensive wireless coverage provides secure access to electronic resources for students and staff using personal laptops. More information on the wireless network
- Wireless printing to university networked printers can be set up on laptops running Windows or Mac operating systems. A help sheet is available at the Library Help Zone or online via the IT Knowledge Base.