Our primary objective is to support the wellbeing of our students and staff and all decisions will be made subject to national guidance to ensure the health & safety of our community. There are a range of wellbeing services available for staff and students, and can be used if you feel worried. If you are unwell, see information on the NHS website. NHS treatment for Covid-19 is free of charge for everyone, including international students.
Return to campus in January:
- The Prime Minister has announced a national lockdown for England. During this time, you must not leave your home except for permitted reasons.
- During this period of national lockdown, the government has advised universities to limit face-to-face teaching. Only students on medicine/dentistry, subjects allied to medicine/health or social work courses, or require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments which cannot be rescheduled, are permitted to have face-to-face activity.
- All other learning will take place online until mid-February. We will share any changes to scheduled activity with affected students directly through specific course communications on Brightspace.
- The majority of facilities on our campuses will be closed, but we plan to keep the libraries, open access centres and Student Centre open for students who are in the local area and are not able to study from home. Find out more on our what's open on campus webpage
- Our Covid-19 testing facility on Talbot Campus, for people who don’t have symptoms, will remain open but will operate at a reduced capacity. You can find further information about testing on our website.
- BU’s campuses have a full range of physical distancing and enhanced cleaning measures in place and students and staff are asked to wear a face covering when on campus, keep space between yourselves and others and practice good hand hygiene.
- Our ResLifeBU and Student Support teams are working hard alongside our Students' Union (SUBU) to ensure your university experience is still full of opportunities. Our student accommodation is open for you as normal, and our partners are working carefully to ensure every building is safe while still feeling like your home from home.
- If you are in the local area and test positive for Covid-19, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can offer support.
- The exact number of cases of Covid-19 are published on our website, sharing the number of new cases each week on a Friday.
- We have started to provide updates as to how your programme will be delivered in semester two. This will be subject to the Government guidelines in place at the time, but will see a continuation of a blended learning model, with virtual and some on-campus teaching, especially for those courses which require access to specialist equipment or spaces. These details will be provided via Brightspace directly from your programme team.
Frequently asked questions
The following pages answer questions covering different subject areas and audiences across the BU community.