Skip to main content

Thinking of leaving BU ?

Leaving your course is a difficult decision and it is important to make the right choice.

leaving checklist

There are a number of different reasons for students to withdraw from university from academic, emotional and family/relationship issues to financial and medical concerns. Or it could be that university is not for you or that the course is not what you expected.

First steps

If you are considering leaving please discuss your plans with your Programme Leader or Programme Support Officer before submitting a form indicating your intention to withdraw. If you are not sure who to speak to, please contact AskBU.


Please review the information provided below, which includes important information concerning tuition fees, student finance and accommodation. You can also find lots of support, advice and guidance available on this page where you can talk through your issues confidentially.

New students

If you are still within the first 14 days of the academic year you should review the below section regarding tuition fee liability and funding for further information. 

More information

Who can I speak to?

If you have an area of particular concern (for example struggling with academic concepts, accommodation issues, funding etc), the university can provide you with help and AskBU will be able to signpost you towards the appropriate support. Call 01202 969696, email, or you can visit The Base at Poole House, Talbot Campus or the Library at Bournemouth House, Lansdowne Campus.


If you have made up your mind that you definitely wish to withdraw, you will need to put this in writing to your Programme Leader and Programme Support Officer. If you are not sure who to speak to, please contact AskBU.

Student Support & Engagement Team

You may also wish to speak to our Student Support & Engagement Team, who are recently graduated BU students and can provide personal support and advice.

Students' Union

We would also recommend that you contact SUBU Advice for independent and confidential advice. Call 01202 965779, email, or visit them at the Student Centre, Talbot Campus or Bournemouth House, Lansdowne Campus. You can also find lots of helpful information on SUBU's 'Don't Drop Out, Drop In' webpage.

Student Wellbeing

Our Student Wellbeing service based at Talbot House has a range of options to meet your needs and our Wellbeing Advisors are on hand to help you decide the best way forward. The service is confidential and completely free.

Faith & Reflection

Faith & Reflection is also at Talbot House and offers support and guidance to all students, whether you have a faith or not.

Tuition fee liability and funding

If you're thinking about withdrawing from your course, you need to be aware of your financial liability for Tuition Fees. Please see the university’s Fees Policy and the table below for reference. You'll find the specific Fees Policy relating to each academic year under the Finance section on the Important Information page along with the 14 Day Cancellation Form.

If you're receiving funding from Student Finance you will need to contact them to let them know that you are thinking of leaving your course, as this may have an impact on your payments and on any future funding. Call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607.

Day one is your official start date at BU, which may also cover your induction period.

Please note that a 14 day cooling off period was introduced for student fees from 2014/15, but there is no cooling off period for the start of subsequent terms/semesters in 2015/16, 2016/17 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20.

Start Academic Year Withdrawal Dates Liability* Refund**
(September & October)

- First 14 calendar days from official start date
- From calendar day 15 of start date until 31 December 2019
- 1 January until 31 March 2020
- On or after the 1 April 2020





(January & February)

- First 14 calendar days from official start date
- From calendar day 15 of start date until 31 March 2020
- 1 April until 30 June 2020
- On or after the 1 July 2020





Other Start Dates
(August, November, December, ​March, April, May, June & July)

- 1 - 14 calendar days
- 15 - 90 calendar days
- 91 - 180 calendar days
- 181 calendar days or more



* Student liability in percentage terms of full fee.
** This is the maximum potential refund that will be given; the actual refund will depend on how much has been paid. Deposits will not be refunded other than in exceptional circumstances.


Your accommodation contract will have conditions related to terminating your agreement early and you should be aware of what these are. Please read your accommodation contract carefully and if you require advice or support then you can contact SUBU Advice on 01202 965779, by text on 07501 622462 or email at  

Once you have made the decision to leave your accommodation then you must contact your landlord or managing agent to inform them of your intention to leave along with your reason(s).

University accommodation

If you are living in BU accommodation where the university is your landlord, (Dorchester House, Home Park, Student Village or Unilet) then you will need to complete a Withdrawal Form. You can download this from our Useful Information and forms page. If you are also withdrawing from BU then there will be a maximum charge of four weeks’ rent plus a £25 administration fee unless you can find someone to replace you straight away. If you are remaining a student at BU and just wish to terminate your contract then you will remain liable until you find someone to replace you. For further information or to discuss your specific situation call 01202 961671 or email

If you are living in BU accommodation where the landlord is one of our private accommodation partners then the standard contractual arrangement is that you will remain liable for your accommodation contract regardless of if you are withdrawing from BU or not. However, you should contact your landlord direct to discuss your specific situation. 

Campus Living Villages

Kaplan Residences

Student Housing Company

Student Roost

Unite Students

Private rented accommodation

If you are living in private rented accommodation you will need to check your contract for the conditions of withdrawing as the accommodation contract is a legally binding document. SUBU Advice can help you check your contract and advise on the implications, as they have expertise in housing legislation.

Careers support

It is crucial that you make the right decision for you and talking to an impartial Careers Adviser could help guide you in this decision process. Your conversation will be confidential. You can make an appointment via MyCareerHub or visit the Careers Centre (outside the library, Talbot Campus).

Opening hours are Monday – Friday, 8.45am – 4.30pm. Alternatively give us a call on 01202 961663 or email

International students

If you are an international student you will need to check what implications withdrawing from your course may have on your visa.

Read the essential immigration information for more details.

Reapplying in the future

If you would like to reapply for another course next year, please remember that your application would need to demonstrate that you are committed to whichever programme you are applying for. Places are limited so all universities need to be sure that when they offer a place, a student is likely to complete.

AskBU: contact us

AskBU: contact us

AskBU is your one-stop-shop for student enquiries - you can contact us by email and phone, or drop in to see us at Talbot or Lansdowne Campus.

SUBU Advice promo

SUBU Advice

Free independent and confidential advice on housing, money, personal matters offered by BU Students' Union.
Student Centre

Looking for support?

Whether you're looking for academic, personal, financial or career support - find out how we can help.