For September 2024 entry: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry and practice, to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page in December 2023 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
Why study BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing at BU?
- Develop into a compassionate, knowledgeable, competent and confident graduate nurse capable of delivering and leading high-quality, person-centred care in a wide variety of healthcare settings
- Apply to study based at either our Bournemouth or our Yeovil Campus
- 50% of the course is spent in practice placements to gain practical nursing experience in diverse locations like hospitals, community homes, private clinics and community nursing teams
- Developed in conjunction with practice partners, service users and carers, on this course you’ll learn from experienced registered nurses and other healthcare practitioners
- Newly built skills facilities include simulated hospital wards and community home settings, allowing you to learn and practice various nursing procedures safely
- Our annual Careers Fair has numerous healthcare exhibitors in attendance, helping you to gain employment as a registered nurse on completion of the course.
Find out more about the content of this course.
Not sure which nursing course is for you? Read our guide to nursing courses at BU.
Funding support: Nursing students may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year. Find out more information about the funding. Please note that this funding is not available for students on the Foundation Year, however you will be able to access it once you complete the Foundation Year and move onto the degree.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills needed to prepare you for the Adult Nursing degree, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree and begin your Adult Nursing study. The Foundation Year will be based at the Talbot Campus, Bournemouth. If you wish to study the degree at the Yeovil Campus, you will be able to choose to this study location upon completing the Foundation Year in Bournemouth.
Apprenticeship route: Our registered nursing degree apprenticeships (RNDA) in Mental Health Nursing and Adult Nursing allow you to be employed and receive a full wage while studying.
Accredited by the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), this course will prepare you to be eligible to register and practice as a registered (adult) nurse and to graduate with a BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing award. Please note that the Foundation Year part of the course is not accredited.
Explore our facilities and see more of the course
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Lansdowne Campus and Bournemouth University, Yeovil Campus. Foundation Year: Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus.
3 years, including mandatory placements or 4 years with the Foundation Year (1 year, followed by 3 years including mandatory placements)
Nursing & Midwifery Council
All subjects considered
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: 104 - 120 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation Year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. A combination of academic and experiential learning to be considered on its individual merits. For more information check out our full entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
For September 2023 entry: If English is not your first language you will need IELTS (Academic) 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and 7.0 in all other components. For more information check out our international entry requirements.
For September 2024 entry: If English is not your first language you will need IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and 6.5 in speaking, listening and reading. For more information check out our international entry requirements.