Our research themes reflect the board areas of creative digital technology in which we have particular strengths and interests. We investigate fundamental technologies that underpin augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR) and digital games by developing novel algorithms and applications.
Our research activities are interdisciplinary which touch upon computer science, human-computer interactions and creative art computing. We develop games, creative digital media, practice-based outputs and use these as powerful tools to tackle major societal challenges.
Research Projects (Ongoing)
- H2020-MSCA-RISE-2018: Game Toolkit for e-Health and m-Health Products (iGame), €837,000, 01/01/2019 -31/12/2022. The centre coordinates and leads a consortium of 6 international partners. PI Professor Wen Tang
- Interreg 2 Seas Mers Zeeen PATH:PATHways to improving perinatal mental health, over €5 million of European funding to this €8.5 million partnership. 01/03/2019 – 28/02/2023. The Health and Europe Centre leads the project. The Centre receives over €450,000 to develop innovative digital technology using wearable computing and games for PATH. PI Professor Wen Tang
- Innovate UK KTP: Virtual Reality Exercise Application for Personal Healthcare, £138,356 01/12/2018 – 31/07/2020. PI Dr Christos Gatzidis
- Guide Dogs for the Blind Association: Improving orientation, mobility and wellbeing using assistive technology: literature review and the development of novel technologies. £40,065, 01/04/2018 – 07/11/2019 PI Dr Simant Prakoonwit.
Research Projects (Past three years)
- European Commission H2020 MSCA IF -2017 : Artistic Animation Rendering with Stylization (Ani-Style), £161,404. PI Dr Feng Tian
- NHS Auto Camera Tracking System for Patient Homecare £2,000, 01/04/2017- 30/09/2017. PI Professor Wen Tang
- AHRC CORPUS, £4, 516 01/04/2018 – 31/12/2018. PI Dr Fred Charles
- Curamicus Ltd: Evaluate and analyze the data for the purpose of generating quantitative parameters relating to gait, balance and sway of the Wearers. £1708, 01/05/2018-31/07/2018. PI Dr Simant Prakoonwit.
Matched-funded PhD Studentships (Past two years)
22 Matched-funded PhD Studentships have been awarded in the past 2 years in collaboration with and sponsorships from a wider range of academic institutions and industry partners. PIs: Professor Wen Tang, Dr Feng Tian, Dr Simant Prakoonwit, Dr Christos Gatzidis, Dr Fred Charles and Dr Charlie Hargood.